Wednesday 15 February 2012



































So I went through every episode of frozen planet
 (skipping the seal bashing parts as my tiny heart
 cant take it) and now how hundreds of icy screen
shots and a better understanding of the weather. I
 have had a quick look for snow storm tutorials but
 have been busy building the scene.

 My plan with the ship was to build the shell as a static mesh and position it around the UDK brush. Well, Its kind of working. I need to add a 2 sided texture to stop it from disappearing in different views but also there seems to be a problem with the collision mesh which is preventing the player from walking on half of the ship. I have tried re-exporting it and even removing the collision mesh in Max and the re-exporting it but nothing. It is on my list of things to sort when I come in.


 I moved on the the cabin. For this I collected a library of pictures of Shackleton's and Scott's cabins and used them to roughly decide on the shape of mine, the reference is mainly for ideas for props to clutter the inside and outside of the cabins.
Oh, and I also watched a programme on Shackleton's Whiskey, It was good for telling his story but unfortunately meant listening this this imbecile.




 At this point I was watching tutorials and learning how to use the terrain tools so I made this crate so I would hate myself less for not producing any work.











 Terrain.  Using the Frozen Planet screenshots to help here, kind
of getting the hang of it, working progress.


I applied a test snow texture but when have since been having problems, I get an error when importing textures that says there are...well...this happens...









 So, stuck there, no-one seems to know whats going on so its on the list to ask Heather.
Also I found a tutorial for glittery snow material that looks good but I dont understand it well enough to use it, another thing on the list. Im posting the link here so I dont lose it.
http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MaterialExamples.html

Sky-dome. I have been really picky about this. I did a quick test to see if painting the mountains on the horizon would give more depth and it worked OK but I am yet to test it with the terrain included. I have an idea of what i want the sky to look like and have been saving a couple of images that I like: 









 So I keep an eye out on the sky and take pictures when I think It might work.

Currently painting the Sky-dome using some of these pics.














No comments:

Post a Comment